Is the point still being missed on Novopay?
Wednesday March 20th, 2013
We hear a lot from Government and school principals' spokespeople on Novopay. But why are we still not hearing from affected school staff about what is being done to exercise their rights?
All employees in every occupation in New Zealand have the right to recover wages under the Employment Relations Act 2000. The big story, surely, is why this is not happening.
The Government is not the employer in the Novopay fiasco. It has no duty to pay school staff under employment law. Nor does it have any liability for non payment.
Each school board of trustees is the employer. Nothing appears to be under way to recover payment by affected employees.
Therefore it is unrealistic to believe school staff unions can expect to any chance of success claiming compensation from Government under the employment jurisdiction.
If each individual school staff member took legal action for breach and recovery of wages the Government would have to pay more than $6million to liable school Boards to cover the cost.
- Phillip de Wattignar
- This opinion piece from Phillip was published in the Hawkes Bay Times in July 2015 Opposition grows to health and safety reform “monster”, says employment relations specialist Phillip de Wattignar 09/09/2015
- This opinion piece appeared in the Otago Daily Times on April 10 2015 and drew favourable mention in political commentator Bryce Edwards’ column in the New Zealand Herald 09/09/2015
- This is Phillip’s three-part series on workplace bullying which featured in the Star in May, June and July – if you forgot to cut them out of the paper, here they all are for easy reference. 11/07/2014
- Updating the That Figures columns 11/05/2014
- As promised (threatened) Elspeth has been delving into other things 04/12/2013
- These posts have featured in Phillip's monthly That Figures columns in the Star, Dunedin's community newspaper 29/11/2013
- Appeal in Kiwisaver minimum wage case dismissed 24/09/2013
- Better pay for rest home workers.....closer to reality now? 10/09/2013
- All workers should be concerned about proposed Employment Relations Act amendments 28/05/2013
- The back to the future approach to health and safety won't work 11/04/2013
- Is the point still being missed on Novopay? 20/03/2013
- Overpayment and Novopay 20/03/2013
- Enthusiasm is not always a good thing………..more on Novopay 20/03/2013
- And another minimum wage issue which hasn't been put to bed yet..... 06/03/2013
- Minimum wage workers and Kiwisaver............. the saga continues. 27/02/2013
- Novapay Comment 31/01/2013